4.15.2008

Avoiding Tragedy

It seems that there has been an increasingly frequent loss of young lives on Shelby County roads over the past few years, especially in Chelsea. Maybe it has always been like this and I’m only just now noticing it because I’m a mother or just getting older and more aware… Or it could have something to do with the 7+ roadside crosses I pass on the 8.5 mile trip home every day. I have not known many of these people personally but Chelsea is a small town and I have known at least one person who was close to each of these young people who have died. I know these young people are in a better place but to see the grieving, devastated families and friends they leave behind is just heartbreaking.

I read a very good article today in the Shelby County Reporter addressing this and the following fact it stated surprised me: “[Alabama] was second in the nation last year in [vehicle accident] deaths per 100,000 teens, ranking only behind Wyoming”

I would like to applaud the students from Chelsea High School that asked lawmakers last month to put more restrictions on teen drivers. That is evident of a maturity and empathetic responsibility that I don’t remember from high school.

Students at Oak Mountain High School created a great video that informs students of the dangers of reckless driving and encourages them to make good choices. The video includes interviews with the Shelby County Sherriff, the County Coroner and several Shelby County parents who have lost children in vehicle accidents.

If you have an opportunity to read the article and view the video, please do!

No comments: